What is Rhythm Kids?
Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age 8. Each week we drum, sing, dance, introduce and play rhythm instruments, and begin to play music-based games. Rhythm Kids guides children toward developmentally appropriate music and movement activities, where they can begin to take charge, lead others, and be musically creative.
What Makes Rhythm Kids the Right Choice?
Rhythm Kids not only extends the traditional Music Together experience, but also allows any child to enter into a class and start to grow their musical skills and love by emphasizing the best educational models appropriate to their age:
- Social interaction with peers
- Carefully curated musical experiences designed to broaden their horizons culturally, historically, rhythmically, and tonally
- A play- and fun-based, yet structured environment in which to grow
Keep Learning at Home with Video Instruction.
Rhythm Kids’ learning continues at home, with interactive videos designed to be a fun, anytime activity for kids and parents alike. This cutting edge approach brings a great, constructive activity to your family’s day, and sets the stage for further musical learning in lessons, and musical literacy.
While your kids are having fun, they’ll be refining focus, dexterity, coordination, and rhythm – all things they’ll use every day for the rest of their lives.
Rhythm Kids Level 1
Rhythm Kids Level 1 is the next musical step for your preschool child (ages 4-5) with a parent or caregiver.
Utilizing the Music Together curriculum each week, we drum, sing, dance, play rhythm instruments, and begin to play music-based games. Rhythm Kids 1 guides children toward developmentally appropriate music and movement activities, where they can begin to take charge, lead others, and be musically creative, as they:
- make up their own drumming patterns .
- invent new ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, sticks, etc.)
- create movement ideas for songs
- and even take a drum solo!
Your child will:
- Explore the world of rhythm through movement, instrument play, and song
- Develop basic rhythm skills, like keeping beat, improvising, ensemble play, and soloing
- Learn to create, cooperate, and express themselves musically
Rhythm Kids Level 2
Rhythm Kids Level 2 classes are for children ages 5 yrs. through 8 yrs.
In this class, children integrate and assimilate rhythm into their lives as they:
- learn multicultural drumming patterns
- develop new repertoire on various percussion instruments
- explore movement and dance while singing songs
- play games based on music and drumming
- have fun with a host of rhythm activities
- 10 weekly, 45-minute classes
- Animal Collection CD and Songbook, as well as downloads of all the songs we will be working on each semester
- Access to online video tutorials and play-alongs
- Access to online in-home activity pages
- Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming
- Enjoy age-appropriate ways to play rhythm instruments
- Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements
- Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico, Turkey, etc.)
- Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm
- Develop skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, composition, and improvisation
- Participate in active musical games that are both enriching and totally fun!
Students should have their own hand drum for use at home (and to bring to class).